How the Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society's Policy Protects Your Privacy
Collection, Use, and Disclosure
The personal information that you voluntarily provide to the Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is protected under the provisions of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act. Depending on the nature of the transaction, VIFF generally collects, your name, address (post and electronic), telephone number and payment information related to ticket purchases, passes and package purchases, donations, newsletters and information mailings. The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society may collect demographic information such as your date of birth, gender and language preference for marketing and fundraising purposes.
- attend screenings of world-class cinema,
- participate in an VIFF Industry session, or
- attend a Festival, Vancity Theatre, or VIFF Industry related special event.
- savings on regular ticket prices,
- seating priority,
- discounts, or
- front of line purchasing opportunities.
- email your tickets;
- respond to your inquiries;
- provide you with access to your on-line account;
- inform you of important changes to VIFF screenings;
- provide you with our newsletters and brochures;
- conduct financial transactions;
- administer contests and promotions;
- notify you of special events and screenings;
- solicit financial support and ticket purchases;
- thank donors and issue tax receipts;
- invite donors and sponsors to special events and functions;
- provide assistance with ticket purchases;
- provide donors with our newsletters and stewardship reports regarding their gift;
- provide recognition in print materials;
- solicit donations;
- generate statistics.
Your personal information is not shared, rented, exchanged or otherwise disclosed to any outside third party except where authorized and or required by law.
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society uses external services and suppliers to assist it in various functions such as processing ticket transactions. Through agreements with these partners and their commitment to protect your privacy, please know that your information is managed with the same level of sensitivity as we do. A confidentiality clause that describes what type of information is being shared and for what purpose is incorporated in the contracts.
Standard Internet Usage Information Automatically Collected
- the network location and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you used to contact VIFF website;
- the name of the domain you used to access the Internet (.com, .org, .net, .ca, etc.);
- the type of browser you used;
- the type of operating system you used (Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, etc.);
- the date and time you accessed the site;
- the pages you have accessed and the documents you have downloaded; and
- the Internet address of the website from which you linked directly to our site, if applicable.
- Determine whether VIFF website visitors are correctly accessing online content and programs;
- Measure the effectiveness of VIFF marketing campaigns by tracking the regional location of Web visitors (down to the level of city boundaries only) and information such as “click-through” and movement within VIFF website;
- Conduct year-over-year market research analysis of VIFF Web visitor engagement and online buying patterns and trends from one programming season to the next in order to attract more audience members to VIFF; and
- Determine the types of devices used by VIFF Web visitors and tailor content to their platforms.
- Session cookies - These are used as an integral part of the identification process for some of our online applications. This is for security purposes to determine that you are who you say you are and to provide you with your confidential account information during an online session. No personal information is kept in session cookies and they are stored only in your browser's temporary (cache) memory. When you log out of your session, the cookie is no longer valid and is discarded when you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies - These are more permanent and can be re-read when you return to the site that placed them on your computer. The information in them is written onto your hard drive and remains there until the expiry date of the cookie. They are used to identify and provide personalized features (for example, to help us remember items in your shopping cart) and for tracking traffic patterns to and from our site. For more information on the tracking we use, refer to the Google Analytics section below.
Your Choice - Your Rights
Event Photography / Videography
When you participate in a VIFF event, you will be participating in an event where photography, video and audio recording may occur. By attending, you consent to interview(s), photography, audio recording, video recording and its/their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, web casts, promotional purposes, telecasts, advertising, inclusion on web sites, or for any other purpose(s) that VIFF, its vendors, partners, affiliates and/or representatives deems fit to use. You release the Greater Vancouver Internaitonal Film Festival (VIFF), its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitising, or publication of interviews, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings.
By entering the event premises, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any exhibition, streaming, webcasting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose or sponsoring of such exhibiting, broadcasting, webcasting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee for admission or sponsorship is charged. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by VIFF or the person or entity designated to do so by VIFF.